Friday, January 20, 2012

The Circle Maker--What is a Prayer Circle?



"Drawing prayer circles starts with discerning what God wants, what God wills.  And until His soverign will becomes your sanctified wish, your prayer life will be unplugged from its power supply. . . getting what you want isn't the goal; the goal is glorifying God by drawing circles around the promises, miracles, and dreams He wants for you."  ( Chapter 2: page 14)

Too many times we seek a formula for praying so that we get the kind of answer or outcome that another person tells us about.  But God doesn't work like that.  He is a person who wants to be known.  And the knowing Him happens through prayer. 


Prayer doesn't change God; it changes us.  As Jesus taught us to
 "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 New Living Translation
Jesus was telling us to stop taking your proverbial grocery list of wants or perceived needs to God!  Instead we are to go to Him asking "what is the will of God for my life?"   


 Do we want what we think we need?  Or do we want what He knows we need.  
Do we want to pray an average prayer or do we want to pray a headline making prayer?  If it is all about glorifying God, then let us live and pray with that as our goal!  

Let me share how God has used this to change how I pray.  
Up to this point I have prayed the "bless my children and protect them from the attacks of the devil."  We pray put on the Full Armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18) on the way to school every morning.  We pray for teachers and students to be blessed by their lives.


But today my prayer became "God I am asking you to make my children even greater lights for you in this dark world.  I also ask that they would begin inviting kids to go to church with them and to spend time with our family.  I pray that every month of 2012 that each of my children would introduce at least 1 person to Christ!!  God, please use us to bring the  hope and redeeming love of Christ not only children but entire families!! 


What I prayed was huge for me.  Sounds easy but you don't know how hard it is for me to get to church on time with my own kids.  And I just asked God to give me other kids to take to church!!  But He dropped it into my heart that if I am willing, He will use the Smith Family to greatly impact our community!  That we can be known as the Light House for our town!!  


Now it is your turn!  What prayers will you pray now that your goal is "for His glory" and not just to meet your needs?


Relentlessly,
Angela Billups Smith

1 comment:

 

Relentless Journey with God | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates